Sunday, February 12, 2006

My Auntie Moment

I'd just finished purchasing a baby shower gift today. My brother and sister-in-law are soon to adopt a baby, and the shower is next week.

I slogged to Babies-R-Us, printed out 16 pages of a baby gift registry (my brother thinks optimistically), and went trundling through the store in a cart that pulled to the left. Finding the Pack 'n Play Lite (an entirely selfish purchase as this is where the new baby will sleep when he/she comes to visit his/her auntie), I hurried to the cashier and checked out. I then wrestled the cart on a straight path to my car, dumped my niece's/nephew's bassinet/playpen/changing table Lite in the back of my car, locked it up and went to the Hallmark store.

I was buying wrapping paper when it suddenly occurred to me I'm going to be an aunt. Not in the very cool friend-of-Mom aunt , but a REAL AUNT! I became very emotional in the store, tearing up and trying to select baby shower wrapping paper and ribbon. I continued to be flooded with these feelings of elation -- it seems all my siblings and I have known for the last 29 years is disease, death, and insanity (not necessarily in that order). A baby is actually... a GOOD thing!

I was beaming with auntie pride and choking back auntie tears in Hallmark while I made my selections of wrapping, a curly bow, and a little gift bag for a birthday gift for a co-worker. I managed to compose myself to bring my purchases to the cash register. I'm gonna be an aunt. Yes. This is so life-affirming!

"Do you have a Gold Crown card?" perky sales person asked.

"No. I don't have it with me."

"Did you get your card at this store?"

"No," I replied, handing her my debit card.

"Oh," perky sales person looked sad for me. Okay, so no Gold Crown points. She swiped my debit card.

"Would you like this in a bag with everything?" she asked, indicating the tube of wrap.

"No, that's okay," I said indifferently.

She then looked at my debit card and asked, "Can I see some ID?"

It's eight bucks worth of merchandise, WTF would she need to see my ID for? I stared at her for a moment and then fished around in my purse for my ID, and produced it for her.

Satisfied that I wasn't defrauding Hallmark for $8 with a fake debit card, she handed me the receipt to sign. While I was signing, she put my purchases in the bag, held up the tube of wrap and asked, "Do you want this in the bag?"

Hadn't she already asked that?

"No." I said slowly.

"Okay," perky sales person said handing me my stuff. "Thank you!"

So I left, and coincidentally, so had my Auntie Moment. It disappeared in a sprinkling of perky, stupid, retail clerk pixie dust.

Little twerp.

On top of that, the shower wrapping turned out to be Pooh and Piglet birthday cake crap. A whole row of it stuck in the baby shower wrapping paper section.

Hallmark sucks.

4 comments:

the queen said...

What if Birth Auntie comes along and usurps you? Are there protections against that?

Mershy said...

Birth Auntie slogging up from Bogota to usurp my auntie-hood? Bring it on, bee-yotch-erita!

the queen said...

Today begins Lent. Is the church of the Weber Kettle beginning the Passion Play (which traditionally begins at Lent)? If it will last through Lent, perhaps they won't tie people up on the crosses, maybe scarecrows. That would be classy.

the queen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.