Monday, December 18, 2006

And on the fourth night of Hanukkah...

I am relieved my SIL survived the last night at home. My dickhead brother didn't follow through with his threat to continue his fight with her.

I called in the morning, then later in the morning, then around noon to see if my SIL was okay. And with each call, I grew exponentially more and more anxious. I'd already spent the morning crying on the shoulder of a dear friend and co-worker, so the wait to hear from her was very hard.

After talking for a bit, I gave her some phone numbers to call and some people to talk to. She'd eventually come to the conclusion she needed to leave with the baby, and I'd opened my house to her so that she could feel safe.

She left a message for him that she and the baby were safe, and that they needed to talk. We were anticipating my brother getting pissed, driving over here and creating an arrestable offense. Instead, he called. They got into for over an hour on the phone. In the meantime, I changed by niece into her sleeper, got her bottle ready, fed her and rocked her to sleep.

Then SIL came into my room and she told me she was going back. I was never really convinced she was sure she was doing the right thing. Thank God I have a friend who's been there, done that. Armed with the reality of spousal abuse victim behavior as my friend described, I was prepared for this possibility.

I have a headache.

And my sinuses burn. *sigh*

I need sleep - rather elusive the night before. Imagine that.

2 comments:

the queen said...

Even if she goes back, at least you can sleep knowing that you helped her if even for one night.

Becs said...

It takes a woman an average of three tries and eight years to leave an abusive spouse.

It took me way too long.

You're good for sticking with her. I'm glad to know you won't hestitate to call in the cops if you need to.