I saw this image by Suspect Device (used with permission) and was moved to remember New Orleans two years ago.Two years ago on August 29, I was packing up the last of my home and preparing for a move to a new place. I was stressed out and on edge and physically and emotionally exhausted. But I learned later that I knew nothing of what exhausted and stressed and on edge meant after seeing the suffering of the people of New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina.
I had every reason at that time to believe that New Orleans would be rebuilt long before now. I see two years later that my belief was misplaced.
At the State of the Union Address, the President didn't mention New Orleans once. At the convening of the 110th Congress, the new Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, failed to mention anything about New Orleans or its rebuilding. Pretty fucking sad. And shameful.
Harry Shearer (SNL, This Is Spinal Tap) has a wonderful report at Huffington Post about New Orleans, two years later. If you give a shit, it's worth the read.
No comments:
Post a Comment