First of all, I sincerely honor the memories of those men, women and children who lost their lives to the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. My heart goes out to their friends and family. There will never be another September 11 that passes now or ever that I will not think of them and that frightening, appalling day six years ago.And now, the commentary... and I am addressing the living.
Calling for a troop withdrawal "emboldens the enemy".
Horse shit.
A local disc jockey said it best. We have become a nation of victims. Just think: some idiot terrorist in training, running around in the 130-degree heat of the desert, climbing monkey bars, taking target practice, recognizes it's 9/11, and sees that after six fucking years, America - 300,000,000 people - is still licking its wounds.
Imagine how goddamned emboldening THAT is to that black-hooded shlemiel running around in the desert.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt once said, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."
King George W. Bush says, "Be afraid. I like you afraid. You'll believe anything I tell you when you're afraid."
Great Britain suffered through two World Wars, through the terrorist bombings of the Irish Republican Army, through the subway bombings in London. Do they mark those special days by beating their chests in grief? Do they rend their clothing? Do they relive those anniversaries with hours and hours of replaying six-year-old media coverage, dramatic films and historical re-enactments?
No. They give these tragedies their due reverence and honor, then they pick themselves up and move the fuck on. And they're not afraid.
America was knocked to its knees and has been whining and lashing out like a tantrum-throwing child ever since. And what a gullible, lazy, distracted, clueless, apathetic and undereducated bunch of children we are.
Get up, America. For the love of God, let's remember who we are. We're America. We aren't afraid of freedom. We aren't afraid of civil liberties. We aren't afraid of anything.
Wipe your collective asses, stand up and flush.
3 comments:
I found myself re-watching everything yesterday, and it served to force it all into history. All the hand-wringing makes it seem less real to me. Every time I see the replay of the planes hitting the towers it seems less real to me, more like a movie, or a documentary on the History Channel.
I don't know if it emboldens the enemy. More like they are hanging off their monkey bars wondering "How are we going to top that?"
Which is why there's no doubt in my mind they want to go nuclear.
Moderate Muslims need to step up. Irshad Manji gives me hope that there is more reason and sensibility in the Muslim world than we realize. These are the people we need to promote wildly and to give them voice. Frequently.
Boy, THAT was poorly worded.
Post a Comment