Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Do you trust your HR Director?

Bitch of the first magnitude. Bee-YOTCH, if you will.

How do you trust a Human Resources Director who is indiscreet and bitchy? How do you take problems to an HR Director who can go from passive aggressive to downright actively aggressive in the span of 8 seconds? How can you rely on an HR Director who gets a thrill from control and passing judgment and gossip? What if you've observed displays of utter contempt by your HR Director towards the person who reports to her?

SHE'S. YOUR. HUMAN. RESOURCES. CONTACT.

Nearly everyone in the company sees this. That alone would be funny if our Human Resources Director wasn't taking out her frustration with [insert personal/professional issue here] on the one person in the company who has no power and no voice.

I listened in as HR Bitch phoned her whipping girl at home (waking her up), looking for batteries. I listened as HR Bitch hung up without thanking the woman once she found them. I heard HR Bitch walk away from the phone mumbling "well, I guess she'll be late again".

I'm aware of many more incidences of unrestrained displays of disdain in addition to this.

In the meantime, what do you do for the poor woman who's terrified to tell her supervisor, the HR Bitch, she's sick? A woman who knows she will get The Sneer™ and then The Dig™, and knows that bronchitis verging on pneumonia in HR Bitch's world is no excuse for leaving work early to see the doctor, or to get a chest x-ray or blood work.

What do you do with an angry and cruel Human Resources Director who is clearly unfit to direct resources that are human?

Just throwing it out to the universe. I know there are no easy answers.

2 comments:

Becs said...

I worked as a contractor in HR for most of last year. Let me tell you, HR is not your friend. Most decidedly, NOT your friend.

They are there to protected the corporate resources. In this case, "Human Capital". They want to make sure they abuse you to the fullest in the most legal way possible.

If you must deal with HR, document every single thing and keep those documents off your work compute and at home.

Just sayin'.

Mershy said...

Thanks, Becs. That's sound advice. I'll certainly heed your words. :-)