Tuesday, September 23, 2008

An Educational Comparison of the Candidates

After all that has gone on over the last eight years, I still am staggered by the blind insistence that some feel they cannot vote for anyone other than a Republican. No matter how rash that Replican is. No matter how alarmingy dotty he is. No matter how monumentally unqualified his running mate is.

But forget that the man has survived (so far) four - FOUR - different kinds of skin cancer, some forms are quite serious and tend to recur in time. Forget the increased likelihood that (God forbid) in the event McCain becomes ill and dies in office if elected, we will be saddled with someone who is entirely incapable of running a country. But forget all that, let's look at their education, shall we?

Obama:
Occidental College - Two years.
Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.
Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

Biden:
University of Delaware - B.A. in history and B.A. in political science.
Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

McCain:
United States Naval Academy - Class rank 894 out of 899 (Like George Bush, McCain was at the bottom of his class)
Crashed five aircraft as a Navy pilot

Palin:
Hawaii Pacific University- 1 semester
North Idaho College- 2 semesters - general study
University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester
University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in journalism

I don't want a president I can sit down and have a beer with; I want him or her to be waaaaaaaayyyyy smarter than I am.

7 comments:

the queen said...

Happy belated birthday!

sue said...

I'm late, but Happy Birthday!!

Candy said...

First of all, happy birthday. The Queen sent me. She's all wigged out cause she forgot. Bah. I forget a friend's birthday every year, and now it's become the best part of our relationship. Gives us something to poke fun at the other for 364 days a year.

Second. Awesome post! If only one Republican would read it and change his or her mind. Sigh.

Mershy said...

Hey, thanks guys!

It was very nice of the Queen to mention that on her blog, and even nicer of you for offering birthday wished. :-)

Candy, I'm glad you liked the post! People need to know these things, I just wish more people knew the caliber of people Republicans are supporting. Kinda boggles the mind.

I think I'll join you in that sigh. :-)

Magpie said...

Wow. Yes, indeed. Those are shocking stats there...which, somehow, I'd missed.

Oh, and Happy Birthday. (yes, the Queen sent me.)

Overflowing Brain said...

Happy Birthday!

And also, voting for Obama, mostly because I'm an Occidental Alum. Well, and a Democrat. But still, go Oxy!

Mershy said...

Wow! Thanks Magpie and Overflowing Brain! I do appreciate the birthday wishes and I'm really glad the stats were helpful. :-)