Thursday, December 22, 2005

Away in a Different Manger

I walked my dog this morning along our usual route. I've noticed for several days now that a neighbor has a manger in their front yard, but it's completely empty. No Mary, no Joseph, no wise men, no ox, no ass, no llamas, no orangutans, not even the little Prince of Peace himself.

Empty.

So I determined that perhaps this is a metaphor, a visual representation of the latest Christian ad campaign of "Got Jesus?"

But then again, I wondered if it would be possible for the owner of a home with siding missing and a rusted out '82 Ford pick-up with a KIX 96 bumper sticker to be capable of such profundity?

Well... stranger things have happened.

2 comments:

the queen said...

Jesus and posse aren't going to show until Christmas eve. (This attention to chronological detail is how a crucified Christ showed up at my wedding, when he was not in evidence earlier in the year.) The manager may be accumulating straw every time a child in the family does a good deed.

Mershy said...

You mean a "mitzvah"? Such a mitzvah!

Actually, I saw your response after I wrote a manger update. Hah! So I was right!