Driving past a church last Saturday, I observed my first live nativity scene. Well, lacking a live infant playing Jesus, or adults playing the virgin mother (should that be capitalized?) and Joseph. Also missing: a supernova.
Alongside the cardboard cutouts of the three wise men (should that be capitalized?), ox and ass, etc., I saw real people standing around the three-foot tall manger scene, reverently holding candles. Being pretty cold, I was duly impressed by the dedication of those who participated in the service, all trying to get into a spiritual alignment with the birth of Jesus - their future lord and savior (should that be capitalized?).
Until I saw the Weber kettle.
I suppose up until that point I could forgive the jeans, fleece, ski parkas and other more modern attire, but the Weber kettle just threw me out of the sanctity of the scene, made me burst out laughing, nearly running my car into a telephone pole. Thankfully, I was saved from yet another pre-Noel fender-bender by a giant, blow-up Santa in a sleigh - the sobering gaudiness of which caught my eye in the nick of time.
I'm counting down the days to December 26.
Which still does no good, cuz people will keep those crappy lights up until Valentine's day anyway.
3 comments:
I am confused - were they cooking our Lord and Savior? Why was a Weber there?
I honestly don't know. You're a Christian, did they do S'mores at the nativity?
"And verily, yea they brought the little Christ Child into Bethlehem, and laid him upon a Weber Kettle." - Rudyard Kipling (no one else will get that)
Post a Comment